I have a question about my rights on my legal right on

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about my rights on my legal right on someone who left there house contents in my garage. I did not give my permission for her to do that, nor did she aks me. She is not paying me for anything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

So california

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. she ask my 40 year old son when he was moving into my house. Divirce. he said he would take it for her but to come get it the next day. Now she wont come get till she feels like it she told me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If i give her notice the get it out in 30 day or i will dispose of legal for me to do

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/15/2017
Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Attorney replied 7 months ago
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

While California has detailed laws on abandoned property left by a tenant, the law is silent on what to do as far as someone who was not a tenant.

What I would recommend is a) make sure the property is stored somewhere safely in your home to avoid possible damage, then b) send a letter --certified mail so you have proof of tracking --describing the property that was left, explaining that the individual was not a tenant, was never a tenant, never paid rent to you, and that if they do not pick it up within ________ days (I would say 30 is more than reasonable) you will consider it abandoned and dispose of it accordingly.

It may not keep them from suing you if they never pick up the property and you do dispose of it, but it would certainly give you a strong defense to any claim they try to make.