My daughter went to ss today and found out that there was a…

Customer Question
My daughter went to...

My daughter went to ss today and found out that there was a $5,000 overpayment from 1995-1997 that was paid to me on her behalf (she was a minor) Can they really go after her for the over payment? This was over 20 years ago. They told her she could not fight it as it had been over 60 days.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge. She is livid as they told her it was to late to appeal it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I believe it was for children's benefits as I was on disability at the time (and still am). Or it could have been SSI on her number which it probably was and I was the rep payee. Problem my papers have long since been destroyed as I have been told 10 years is the max they can go back.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about this.

Your Question:

My daughter went to ss today and found out that there was a $5,000 overpayment from 1995-1997 that was paid to me on her behalf (she was a minor) Can they really go after her for the over payment?

Response: Unfortunately, they can. Also, regrettably she cannot file for an appeal. However, she can request for waiver of the overpayment because she cannot afford to to pay it.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.