I am going through a personal property dispute over a pet…

Customer Question
I am going through...

I am going through a personal property dispute over a pet which has me listed as the primary owner under AKC registration and the other party as secondary. What rights do I have to keep the pet with me only?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CO

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a charge for the first question?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Ok

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/15/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Who originally purchased the pet?

.

Was it given as a gift to the other person?

.

.

thanks

We both originally purchased the pet but I signed the document during the sale. It was his cash which we used, but only as a loan because I did not have that much cash last minute. The akc registrationhad me as primary and him as secondary and all vets (3) have me listed as the owner.

Ok, then if you bought the pet together, it is a jointly owned asset and you would both be equal owners of it. So until a judge issues an order stating otherwise, whoever has the pet has the legal right to keep it because right now, both parties have exactly equal rights to possess it and one party can't force the other party to surrender possession to them.

.

.

thanks

I guess I worded that poorly, on paper and financially I bought the pet. The money was just loaned by him then only partially paid back due to the pet costing a ton later and him agreeing to pay half because he decided he like him after a month or so

Ok, then that changes things as it is your personal property if you bought it for yourself, regardless of where the money came from to pay for it.

.

So as your personal property, the other person has zero legal rights to it.

.

.

thanks

Does the AKC registration hold any grounds since he is listed as secondary and paid for the registration?

No, not unless you made a gift of half the pet to him. The point is that if he wants to claim some type of ownership of the pet, he will have to sue in small claims court and prove that you gave him the dog or some interest in the dog since you were the one who initially bought it..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney