I have started an instagram/snapchat were i tell people

Customer Question
I have started an...

I have started an instagram/snapchat were i tell people about all of the money i make by using the internet. Once i get someone interested i tell them the good information is in an article i wrote and then i charge them 5 dollars for a digital copy. Within the article i provide brief descriptions of 5 ways to make money online. is this legal?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing except for the paypal transactions and email records

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have no license or permit, no official records being kept. And i tend to exaggerate the profitability of my money making methods. And all methods i talk about are proven to work and are all done legally

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Sure, are you ready to begin?

Yup! I'm wrapping up with another customer; however, I should be done momentarily and I'll be able to get right with you.

Awesome, thank you

Ok, so what you're doing is perfectly legal. Sometimes, some companies engage in unfair practices. To establish that there was an unfair practice, there must be

1. A representation, omission or practice that is likely to mislead the consumer;

2. The representation is examined from the perspective of a consumer acting reasonably in the circumstances; and

3. The representation, omission or practice must be material enough to affect the consumer’s conduct or decision, even though no actual reliance is required.

If you're up front with the customers about the money to be charged for this, then you're in good shape. It doesn't sound like unlawful practices or false advertising.

Did you have any other questions for me?

Just to clarify, so if i say, "You can make 1,000 dollars a day using these online money making methods" and then charge them $5 to access the document that has the methods included in it. )That would be perfectly legal? (the money making methods i send them are all legal and somewhat profitable, but 1k a day is a little exaggerated but technically it could be done in a day) Is that legal?
Oh, and my business is not licensed or anything. Its more freelance. Is that still okay?
it's legal just make sure that you explain that the results are not typical. You should get a business license in the county and state where you do business, but that's usually pretty easy.
I'm sorry to take up so much of your time but I have one final question, what about taxes? All of my income is coming through paypal
You'll have to report your income as you normally would. Even if it comes through PayPal. You should speak with an accountant to determine how this income is taxed by your state and what deductions are available. I use quick books self employed to help me manage my taxes. Did you have any other questions?