My son was sentenced to 9 years...was refused drug

Customer Question
My son was sentenced...

My son was sentenced to 9 years...was refused drug counseling...my wife and i submitted additional info to the judge..he replied "defendant or his counsel must request.what can we due!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Md

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We sent in a ltr with a fair amount of additional info,with attached ltrs etc from former employers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there any other way to have the judge review additional info other then hiring an attorney

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Your son can send the request in as well, but he has to draft the papers in the correct manner and normally set a hearing. In addition he must make sure the "additional info" is provided in admissible form and provide a copy of everything to the prosecutor at the same time it is sent to the judge. There is a limited about of time to do this, so he would have to hurry.

My suggestion would be to use an attorney, either the one he used for the underlying case or hire a new one just to handle this aspect since whoever does it must have a working knowledge of the rules of evidence or else the prosecutor can object to some or all of the information and the judge will have to strike it. However, your son is certainly allowed to do it himself.