I'm going thru divorce and wife wants me to get out and told…

Customer Question
I'm going thru divorce and...
I'm going thru divorce and wife wants me to get out and told me that she will change the lock while I'm out of town, can the police protect me on this situacion?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am going to assume that the home is in both of your names? If so, then she cannot change the lock. Or if she does, then someone in your situation has every right to call a locksmith and open the door that way. You cannot break in into your own home. The only way she can keep you out is if she has a restraining order or an injunction against you.

If this happens (key change), when a locksmith is called, you may wish to also call the police non emergency line and ask for an officer stand by to come with you to avoid her becoming violent when you open the door.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.