Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can the women who have made allegations to the media about…

Customer Question
Can the women who...

Can the women who have made allegations to the media about Trump make a claim now that could result in impeachment or would the statute of limitation preclude it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I imagine it would be a federal case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only to the media

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 2 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, absolutely. The thing that most people don't know is that impeachment is not criminal matter, but a political matter. It's a "political question" that the courts would stay out of, as the US Constitution specifically gives the authority and discretion to impeach to Congress. Now impeachment is also misunderstood from the perspective that it's not just the US House of Representatives voting on the articles of impeachment, but also that a supermajority of senators (at least 67) would vote to "convict". For example, Bill Clinton was "impeached" (but only half-way) because the house did vote on charging, but the senate did not vote to "convict" (and thus remove) him.

Congress could literally vote to impeach him because he likes ham sandwiches. That's an absurd example, but it's also a true statement. There's nothing that actually requires statement of a crime or proof of a crime being committed. So the fact that a crime was alleged to have occurred, regardless of the statute of limitations, could be the basis for impeachment. My point is that he could literally be impeached for unpaid parking tickets from college years. Now of course actually impeaching based upon unpaid parking tickets from college years would incur a tremendous political cost (many, many lost congressional and other elected seats) so that's why they don't do it. But my point is that they could, and court issues such as statute of limitations., etc... do not apply to or matter to Congress, that has the sole determination as to what can be the basis to impeach on.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney