I have a vacation planbed for myself and two children for…

Customer Question
HI I have a...

HI I have a vacation planbed for myself and two children for Mexico next month. My children need passports. However we live in Chicago and I believe he is incarcerated in Virginia for 60 years. How do I go about expediting a passport when we have not had contact with him for over 5 years. My children are 15 and 6.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If the other parent is not available and you cannot contact him, you will need to fill out a statement of consent and fill out the special circumstances form: https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5525.pdf

if you cannot obtain a notarized statement of consent from the father. You would need to attach proof he is incarcerated to the form and if you have a court custody order you would attach that as well and you can obtain the passport without him signing the form.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.