My first question is i am the fiance of a man that was

Customer Question
My first question is...

My first question is i am the fiance of a man that was injuried bon a job in kansas .we r from louisiana and the company he worked for are out of grayling mi. my fiance had life ins through his job and left it to me and after telling ins what happened they paid me 50,000.00 he was injuried in jan.2017 and went bin hospital in feb.2017 and died april 3,2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The job was in chanute kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I dont understand question

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was at work at a concrete plant and inhailed the concrete dust and it burnt his face and his lungs and no work report was wrote up but forman saw it happen and so did atleast one other worker .he developed a very bad cough and past out on the 4th day so he went to doctor and 2 days later was air flown to joplin missouri icu and kidneys had failed and part of one lung was removed . dr said he was as good as dead when he got there . the hair like things we have in our lungs that filter trash and make us cough his turned to concrete

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

What is your question for us about this issue?

CAN I SUE COMPANY
NO
HELLO YOU STILL THERE

Thank you for your reply. I told you initially to please feel free to ignore the phone requests, the experts do not send them and I apologize for any inconvenience.

I am typing a response, please give me a few minutes.

Thank you for your reply.

As you are not married, someone would have to be appointed as administrator of his estate and they can pursue the company for wrongful death ONLY UNDER WORKERS COMPENSATION. When an employee is injured or killed in the performance of their work duties, the law holds the employer strictly liable for that injury or death. If workers compensation has paid out on the wrongful death due to the job related injury, that is the only liability the employer has and the employer cannot be sued for anything further according to the laws.

So, if his employer's workers compensation has not paid out, you need to get his estate open for probate and a wrongful death workers compensation claim must be filed and if they do not pay, then you can sue the workers comp carrier and employer under workers compensation for that death on behalf of the estate and you would need to engage a local attorney to represent the estate in the claims.

The employer needs to pay his legal heirs or his estate under workers compensation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I can not file any kind of suit

Thank you for your reply.

You could seek "loss of consortium" or companionship for the wrongful death, yes. You still need to see that probate is opened so the wrongful death can be pursued under workers compensation.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney