This is a question regarding how tax bill, if passed, would…

Customer Question
Hello there - this...

Hello there - this is a question regarding how tax bill , if passed, would affect alimony in Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Yup - Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

In terms of my question?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh my husband and I are getting a divorce and wanted to know how the tax bill might affect alimony payments. Supposedly, the bill says if a divorce is "executed" before Dec 31st, alimony payments are tax deductible. But we're not sure when the divorce is "executed" - is it the day you go to court? Or 120 days afterward etc?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 5 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

What tax bill are you talking about exactly, please? Do you have its designation/name?

The GOP tax reform bill that’s madenit thru the house and is still pending Senate vote? I believe the actual name is ***** ***** Cuts and Jobs Act Resources bill, but its in every news cycle pretty much I can send you articles if need be

Thank you. No, no need. This should not have any effect on alimony. This is a federal bill dealing with taxes; alimony is a state law matter dealing with family law. While the two may influence each other, the tax bill should not have any direct consequence on alimony.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

But alimony is currently a federal and state deduction by the payor, how is it solely a state matter?

your ex is being asked to pay a certain amount per cycle, correct? Just a number, such as $300 per month.

The tax bill applies to taxes, not gross income. His amount wouldn't change.

This is an apples and oranges situation - the state alimony laws are not influenced by federal tax laws.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law