Last family loved our full baby wary due to the house that…

Customer Question
Last family loved our...

Last family loved our full baby wary due to the house that was not our fault. We had $42,000 worth of coverage for inside contents. We had only had the home for a year and a month when it burned to the ground. The insurance company sent a check for $6700. They said it was because we had filed bankruptcy however the house was not included And the only thing on the bankruptcy that involves the house was a bedroom suit. Is there anyway I can pursues this to at least get enough to start over and replace furniture?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing except the initial fire reports. I was just accepting the fact that it would be a great loss until told to talk to a lawyer. I have receipts from a new washing machine and dryer as well as my daughters Christmas as I was working out of state. The other receipts are burned.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this.

It sounds like the insurer is not handling your claim in good faith, and I urge you to consult a local attorney who handles insurance disputes. You should not sign a release until after you consult an attorney. I would not cash the check either.

You can get a free consultation from some of the attorneys listed by location here.

Georgia may allow you to recover your attorney fees if you can prove the insurer acted in bad faith, by making such an absurdly low offer.

As you can see if you read the last link I posted, this is a complicated area of the law, and I urge you consult an attorney with experience in handling this type of case.

I hope this information is helpful.

The problem is we already cashed the check and they paid off the home. We contacted the Georgia state fire commissioner and we were told that it would be OK to cash the check and to get affidavits and any receipts that we could. However they say commissioners office has not acted on the situation as they let us to believe they would so I’m not sure if that means we can’t do anything about it. We didn’t want to cash the check however when the state commissioner told us we could we assumed he knew what he was talking about. So that is why I was asking because I don’t want to lose more money for paying an attorney if we’ve already messed up by miss leading information. We have not cleaned up the side because we were told by acquaintances not to touch the site in case we did get a lawyer. I apologize for the typos however I am using voice text because I have to multitask. I do thank you for any information you have and can provide.

Did you sign any kind of release or settlement agreement? Did the check have any kind of release printed on it? Did it come with a cover letter?

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer