I am a Wisconsin Notary and my commission is permanent. I…

Customer Question
I am a Wisconsin...

I am a Wisconsin Notary and my commission is permanent. I just noticed that on a document that I notarized yesterday omitted the statement that my commission is permanent. Is the notarization valid?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The document was a self proof affidavit on a will

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The notary seal requirements for Wisconsin are the following:

(a) Except as authorized in s. 137.19, every notary public shall provide an engraved official seal which makes a distinct and legible impression or official rubber stamp which makes a distinct and legible imprint on paper. The impression of the seal or the imprint of the rubber stamp shall state only the following: "Notary Public," "State of Wisconsin" and the name of the notary. But any notarial seal in use on August 1, 1959, shall be considered in compliance. (b)The impression of the notarial seal upon any instrument or writing or upon wafer, wax or other adhesive substance and affixed to any instrument or writing shall be deemed an affixation of the seal, and the imprint of the notarial rubber stamp upon any instrument or writing shall be deemed an affixation of the rubber stamp.

Nowhere in the law does it state that the seal has to state that it is a permanent commission. Ergo, lacking those words does not disqualify the notarization seal.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Your answer appears to relate to the Notary Seal. On the website for the Wisconsin Secretary of state it says that if a notary witnesses a signature it should state...Notary Expiration Date. Does this change your answer?

Ah, I see. One second please while I type out a response...

Except as authorized in s. 137.19, all certificates of acknowledgments of deeds and other conveyances, or any written instrument required or authorized by law to be acknowledged or sworn to before any notary public, within this state, shall be attested by a clear impression of the official seal or imprint of the rubber stamp of said officer, and in addition thereto shall be written or stamped either the day, month and year when the commission of said notary public will expire, or that such commission is permanent.

137.19 (EXCEPTION) Notarization and acknowledgement. If a law requires a signature or record to be notarized, acknowledged, verified, or made under oath, the requirement is satisfied if the electronic signature of the person authorized to administer the oath or to make the notarization, acknowledgment, or verification, together with all other information required to be included by other applicable law, is attached to or logically associated with the signature or record.

So I am afraid that technically, if the signature block is missing the commission expiration date, then this was an improper notarization. However, it does not mean that it was invalid - the Court is still likely to rule that the notarization is valid (if challenged) provided that the identity was confirmed and that no fraud took place.

But if one wants not to worry, the notarization can always be redone again with an identical new will which simply voids the old one.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"