Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have had a woman who worked for KCA Deutag an Oil drilling…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a woman who worked for KCA Deutag an Oil drilling outfit (on the North Sea) take money from me on the promise she would get a job for me. She past away and her brother Harry says she left me money. The money is coming from Turkey and is held in bond close to Atlanta.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Her approach was from Aberdeen in Scotland, and I am an Australian. She purportedly left US$5 million to me. But Harry's Agent wants US$26000 to release the funds. Now it could be another scam Harry has given me an email that verifies this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

At this stage No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Seeing they are foreign funds the government will want some cut I presume and what is the success expectation, how much will it cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

The issue's will be is Harry's word worth a grain of salt (does he have the $5m), if so can he be forced to hand it over, and if not I would like to claim on him or his sisters estate for my money

Lawyer's Assistant: You can discuss that with the Lawyer or ask for a different Lawyer.

OK whats the deal

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/14/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Did you ever meet this woman who allegedly worked on an oil rig in the North Sea, or was she just some Internet contact?

Can you upload a copy of the email to this question thread along with any other documents you have involving this situation?

I was hoping to hear from you before writing a reply, just in case you had anything surprising to tell me. But this conforms to the standard internet inheritance scam. Don't send any money off. The only money you will see is your own when you kiss it goodbye and send it away to thieves.

When once you have been scammed successfully -- this woman who took money from you for a bogus job opportunity -- scammers always come back in new disguises to swindle you all over again. They work in teams and they bolster each other's lies.

So here suddenly, the woman who scammed you in the past appears to have had an attack of conscience and has left you $5 million dollars to compensate you for the job you didn't get.

The person who reached out to you allegedly is in Scotland, the money is coming from Turkey but somehow is being held in Atlanta, which is in the US. You don't know any of these people and if the whole scenario isn't unlikely enough, they are expecting you to pay $26,000 in USD to release the funds.

All of this is pure nonsense.

If you were truly the heir to an estate, you would find out via a certified letter from the executor of the estate. You would never learn of a legacy via an email.

Additionally, no heir has to pay a cent in order to claim an inheritance. The estate itself pays all of its own expenses, and it is only when the estate has no further bills or obligations that the money gets sent to the heirs. No strings attached.

The upfront fee is the #1 sign of an inheritance scam, and here there are people all over the world so if you are unwise enough to send $26,000, you won't know where to even look for the real thieves, and neither will your law enforcement.

This is a fraud. There is no money. There is no inheritance. The people you are dealing with are not who, what or where they purport to be. They are just phishing for your personal information and looking to steal your money.

Report them to your police. Block all further communication with them. Report them also to Scamwatch.gov.au and don't even think of sending these folks more money.

If you are not convinced, you can upload copies of any documents you were sent with regard to this inheritance, and I will look them over, but I"m confident this is a fraud and that I'll be able to prove that.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney