My son has been put in jail for intimidation which I am

Customer Question
My son has been...

My son has been put in jail for intimidation which I am being told is a misdemeanor. He has almost been in jail 24 hours without bond being set or charges being filed so bond can be set. Is this normal or should be be able to get him out by now. He is being told that he will be there till Tuesday before he can see the city judge...he was arrested by the county. They say he will walk out if no charges are filed within 48 hours. If they file charges tomorrow, will he have to wait till Tuesday for the judge to set bail amount? Is this legal to keep him till Tuesday without going before a judge?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

It happened yesterday and the State is Indiana the city of Knox, Starke County

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No...they were all closed by the time we got home tonight.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know how to get my son out of jail

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

What has happened so far is normal. If he walks out and then is rearrested he will have to wait until the judge sets the bail. The judge has 48 hours and can then extend that for another 72 hours to set a bond if charges have been filed.

How long can they hold my son before setting a bail amount? How do I go about getting him out the fastest so I can get him back on his medicines the way he should be and get him lined out. I took his meds to the jail and when he called last they still had not let him have any because they were waiting on a nurse to come to work. In the mean time he was starting to get in bad shape...he has post traumatic stress syndrome, is bi polar and has other mental issues as well as a possible broken ankle, a major back surgery that has been re-injured and pulling some of his repairs apart, as well as a cracked neck from falling or being pushed down the stairs.

If you hire a lawyer, they can usually make the bond or at least get the bond as low as possible and then get him out of jail. Hiring a lawyer is usually the fastest, and the best, way.

Is this something you could handle over the phone or would you ever do that in this type situation?

Other than that then you can hire a bondsman but they can't do anything until a bond amount is set and they have no way to set the date faster.

No, unfortunately none of the experts here are allowed to take cases that come from the website.

Or can you suggest a good lawyer in the Knox Indiana area?

I can tell you where to look, we're not allowed to give specific referrals. What you can do is go to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Criminal. That website also allows you to search by location. It's the website I use to find lawyers to refer cases to.

Thank you very much.

You're very welcome and I wish you and your son the best.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.