My father died over 3 years ago but had a bank balance of…

Customer Question
My father died over...

My father died over 3 years ago but had a bank balance of $4277 still at Santander bank. I am the only child and he had to spouse. i did not have power of attorney. what legal doc do I need to prove to bank I am allowed to close his account

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

No paperwork has been filed. my father died at a nursing home and he was supported from the State..he had no resources

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We assumed the nursing home would claim anything left in his bank account but after 3 years they have not.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You can file a "small estate affidavit" with the probate court and have the clerks sign off on it. They should have the form to complete and file. Once you get a stamped copy back from the clerks, you send a copy of it to the bank (or take it in) and they will then surrender any funds to you.

.

.

thanks

the probate court in the town where the bank is located?

No, the probate court in the county where mother was a resident when she passed.

ok thank you

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney