Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I recently filed a small claims case in Las Vegas Nevada…

Customer Question
I recently filed a...

I recently filed a small claims case in Las Vegas Nevada Justice Court against a contractor who failed to complete their work and on the date of the trial (yesterday) I arrived in court and was advised by the judge that the plaintiff had filed a counter suit. Long story short according to the Judge the plaintiff did not have enough time to serve me and as a result she is rescheduling the court date until March 2018.
Here is my question; is there anyway for me to request additional damages from the plaintiff in my current small claim case for Travel Expenses, Parking and Lost Wages for yesterday since they (the plaintiff) failed to serve me timely?
I so, what is the process and what form do I file with the courts?
Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We filed a claim & a hearing was set for yesterday, however when we got there, the defendant (sorry I think I said plaintiff) has apparently filed a counter suit, but has not had time to serve us, so the judge postposed the hearing until March 2018.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

You'd need to show that you're entitled to damages for some reason - the person is personally trying to draw out the proceedings, etc. The judge just wants the whole matter decided at once - which is in the court's interest as well as in your interests so you don't have to keep coming back to court. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question - by selecting the appropriate number of stars - so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be happy to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars is definitely appreciated!). It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

I feel that I am entitled to additional damages since I had to take off work, pay for parking, etc & will have to do it again in March. We filed the case in September, served them in September, with a court date in December. In court was the first I had heard of a counter claim, having never been served. The judge said she would allow the defendant time to serve their counter claim, again forcing me to take additional time off. How do I add these additional damages (lost wages, etc) to my already existing case?

You would file an Amended Complaint, add these additional items and then serve the complaint on the Defendant.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney