Im not sure where my son should go for help- his ex is

Customer Question
Im not sure where...

Im not sure where my son should go for help- his ex is supposed to pay for the private school for the kids and now she is behind $7000 and he wants to enroll them in a public school-she wont return his calls - can a lawyer help in this regard-they are out of their private school at the end of the calendar year because of the non payment

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

See above

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No-

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

OK

Thanks so much for your patience. This appears to be an issue of contempt. If there is a court order and one of the parties does not follow through on the orders, then they are going to be held in contempt of court. If she is supposed to pay for the kid's private school and has failed to do so, your son could pay for the private school and then file a motion for contempt to have the court fine her and possibly garnish her wages to help reimburse him. If that doesn't work or if it's not possible, he can file a motion for contempt now and then have the court try to force her to make the payment so they can stay in school. Unless the parent has a legitimate reason for falling behind (e.g. a job loss or some other change in circumstances) she will be ordered by the court to pay so the kids can stay in that school.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

where would he file a contempt of court case? With the clerk of court in our county?

Correct:-). Did you have other questions that I could help you with?

No thank you

Awesome. Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Good morning. I just realized that I never gave you a chance to rate me. I have given that opportunity now to do so. Would you be so kind as to rate me? Thanks so much.