I am the parent of 2 adult disabled children. I am asked for…

Customer Question
I am the parent...

I am the parent of 2 adult disabled children. I am asked for guardianship papets yet an attorney told me as parent it was not required. Why is it required as i have taken care of them their whole lives. I am in Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes....he told me i did not need one as i am the parent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would like to obtain power of attorney as guardianship has limitations

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

The reason you're asked for guardianship papers is that the guardian of adults is not always the parent.

Adults are presumed to be able to handle their own affairs and if they cannot there needs to be a guardian and by having guardianship papers it tells everyone that this specific person - you - can make decisions on their behalf.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question - by selecting the appropriate number of stars - so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be happy to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars is definitely appreciated!). It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.