Can I dispute handyman's work without a contract? It was…

Customer Question
Can I dispute handyman's...

Can I dispute handyman's work without a contract? It was that I paid for material and will pay hourly pay and made a deposit. He verbally guarantee 1 yr service when there is an issue but shower heads he fixed is leaking badly on the same day. He does not respond.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that 1 year guarantee was verbal and he threatened me that he will call the City to come down to my place and talk to me or inspect the business.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

An oral agreement would be enforceable for a contract less than 1 year and not for an illegal activity.

Do you have any followup questions?

If handyman keeps ignoring my contact, can I dispute to credit card company for the work that has not been completed/repaired? Is this wrong to think that labor that he put into this incomplete work should be refunded if he will not complete or fix the issues?
Thank you

Hold, please.

My understanding is a credit card company opens a dispute based on your claim (which is a breach of contract claim; or failure to carry out the services contracted to). The other party then has a right to respond. It is not wrong to argue that the services agreed to were not done properly and therefore should not be paid for. Whether or not services for other work were done properly could mean the claim is lessened because that work was done properly for those services.

Do you have any further questions? I can continue to assist you.

Hello again:

Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no extra charge so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Hello again:

Just checking whether you got all that you needed from Just Answer. If so, let me know. if not, let me know. Thank you.