I got myself into trouble with law and I am sorry. I need…

Customer Question
I got myself into...

I got myself into trouble with law and I am sorry. I need help and I don't know what to do. I got charge with simple battery. I am 20 year old I got to school and I work full time never been arrested, I don't even have a parking ticket, never been trouble. I may a mistake and I am sorry I was trying to defend my mother, emotion where running high and I span and I am sorry I want my life back

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Last Friday and Miami Fl

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes I am a student I don't have a lot of money but if there's a payment plan

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post and will be typing your response now.

Most lawyers these days will take credit card payments, so in that way you can pay a private lawyer and pay off the debt to your card carrier. If you're a student, however, you may also be eligible for a public defender, which is a free court-appointed lawyer.

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer, when you show up to court for your arraignment, you can plead not guilty to the charges, which will keep all of your rights open and then ask the judge to appoint you a public defender. He will do so and then adjourn the case for another date at which time you can meet your lawyer, who will handle the matter from there.

Can I go to jail for something so minor there was no wounds or anything like that I just tapped her

Jail is a possible penalty for a battery. However, if you have no prior criminal history and there are no real injuries, typically the worst that you would see on a plea bargain offer for something like this would be probation. You should be able to avoid jail entirely.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.