Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I live with my boyfriend for 18 months and we are together…

Customer Question
I live with my...

I live with my boyfriend for 18 months and we are together for 6 years off and on. he wants me to move out and draft a settlement agrement and general release for me to sign by Friday noon. which he is offering me $20,000.00 if I get out by Feb 3rd.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I don't have a job. I lost my business on August 2016 when he asked me to move in with him and to get rid of my household items California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was thinking to ask him a bit more money because I depend on him for my living expenses right now. And the reason I could't be hired is because he is always taking me on luxurious trips abroad every 2 months we go somewhere

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Should I sign the settlement of $20,000.00 my boyfriend is offering me to move out when I don't have a job or a place to go?

you want to make sure that you *try* to walk away with what you feel is a good financial arrangement given what you gave up to be with him. I unfortunately can't say whether that is enough money for YOU specifically.

He wants me to sign waving section 1543 of the CA civil code
Should I do it?
1542
Is it possible for you to respond?

We cannot say whether you "should" or "shouldn't" waive your rights b/c that constitutes legal advice but I do want you to know that 1542 is a "general release" of all the claims you may have against him and it's very broad - meaning if you wanted to come back later and ask for more money you would't be able to.

Does that answer your question?

Do I have any rights for monetary compensation since we are not married?
$40,000.00 would provide a living until I can find a job.
also would help me to begin my life sgain
No I can't
Do I have any rights or he is being generous iffering me the $20,000?

He isn't under any obligation to offer anything at all. That being said, sometimes people make offers b/c they're concerned that if someone ASKS for more they could end up in litigation which they don't want to deal with. So, you can ASK for more - 40 or 60 or whatever you decide to ask for - and he may be willing to negotiate up from $20k. Does that answer your question?

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney