I thank you for the help you provide to people that don't…

Customer Question
HelloI thank you for the...
HelloI thank you for the help you provide to people that don't know the law and are getting lied to by police or their cronies.
My wife took her own life 17 months ago with her handgun in our bedroom while I was the only one home. She did not die till about 4 1/2 hrs. later in hosp.
The police put in the paper she died of a suicide a few days later or maybe it was only a couple without knowing if it was or not an actual suicide and without my consent.
The coroner did not confirm it was a suicide till about 8 months after she shot herself. The police still won't talk to me about it, say I'm still a suspect being the reason.
They took 2 guns that day the one she used and one I was working on that was in pieces and wasn't even the same caliber.
I want to know if they can legally put that in the paper even though the coroner didn't rule it a suicide and I did not give them consent.
I didn't even find out about being put in our local paper till the neighbor told me, I was pissed.
They still won't return my personal property after 17 months, they say still investigating, BULLSHIT IT WAS RULED A SUICIDE, even though I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT MYSELF.
Married 33yrs. since high school at 17 yrs. old and I'M STILL A WRECK OVER WHAT SHE DID. I am getting medical attention for my depression and seeing what I saw that day in the bedroom, the smell of gun powder, the blood, her bleeding every where, and the sounds.
I want my property back and want to know how long they can hold it since the coroner ruled it a suicide 11 months ago. Like I said they won't even talk to me or answer emails.Thanks, ***** *****
precious time, Henry
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Yes, the police are allowed to release their findings or conclusions to the press if they desire. There is no need to get permission from a family member unless it is a juvenile involved. If they haven't been able to find a family member then they often do not release the info to the press, but that's not usually because there is a law preventing it.

The coroner conclusion that it was a suicide is not determinative as to the cause of death. Coroners have been wrong in many cases. The law states that they can maintain control of the "evidence" until such time as the investigation is complete and the decision made not to file charges, the person is charged and taken to trial and found not guilty, or the statute of limitations has passed.

You can certainly sue them for the return of the items but you would want to hire a lawyer to assist you because the process is much more difficult than you would think.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

And, by the way, you have my utmost sympathies. I had a close family member die of suicide as well and I know how tough it is to get over. That was back in the mid 80s and I still have nightmares occasionally about it.