Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I'm off probation. Was wondering if the Federal Government…

Customer Question
I'm off probation. Was...

I'm off probation. Was wondering if the Federal Government can put liens on my property if I'm current and paying my restitution every month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No getting married want to protect my fiancee's assets

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am a Criminal Defense attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Okay. Thanks
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

No, if you are current on your restitution payments, there will not be any liens placed on your property.

However if you end up not paying restitution, the victim in the underlying crime who is receiving payments can petition for a lien to be entered against your property.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones