Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Is it illegal for someone to post your picture of your

Customer Question
Is it illegal for...

Is it illegal for someone to post your picture of your social security and drivers l licience on Instagram without your permission

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes but cops won't do anything since our divorce isn't filed they said he could do what he wanted including slashing my tires many times

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Divorce isn't final yet

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear this happened.

While there may not be grounds for criminal action here, you can report it to Instagram and they will take it down immediately.

See:

https://help.instagram.com/122717417885747?_fb_noscript=1

See also:

https://help.instagram.com/contact/504521742987441?helpref=page_content&_fb_noscript=1

However slashing your tires is criminal. It's vandalism and destruction of your personal property -- a misdemeanor offense, punishable by jail time and a fine.

The situation on Instagram can perhaps be construed as a pattern of harassment. Taking these 2 instances together, as well as anything else he may have done, you may have enough grounds to file for a domestic protective injunction.

You can also speak with a prosecutor about possibility of filing criminal harassment charges since there has been multiple incidents, or at least criminal vandalism due to your tires having been destroyed.

It won't cost you anything to meet with a prosecutor, and criminal charges are filed by the state so pursuing criminal prosecution would not cost you any attorney fees.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones