I believe I've been scammed by a woman I met through online…

Customer Question
I believe I've been...

I believe I've been scammed by a woman I met through online dating site claiming she had very large sums of inheritance money left by her late dad's will that in order to claim that inheritance she needs someone that is either her future husband or fiance to represent her since she has not met the wills requirement age. She referred me to the lawyer which is processing her inheritance, so I got involved helping her to claim that inheritance which costed me more than $40,000.00 dollars already yet it has not being resolved, my fiance and her lawyer keeps drilling me to dish out money to pay for the money shipment fees. finally, I realized I might have been scammed since she keeps making up different excuses each time I wired the money to the lawyer. Is there anything I can do to reclaim the losses?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am living in Wisconsin, my girlfriend is currently staying in Puchong Jaya Malaysia and the lawyer representing her inheritance claim which it shows he has branches in Washington DC.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None from her lawyer, only wired transactions that I have made dealing with the lawyer's partners in the US. However, the lawyer did provide me the bank account access to her late dad's inheritance account with full access, which has been withdrawn already and was being ship and got held up by the customs in malaysia port authority.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can't afford any attorney fees right now, if you can give me some free consultations of what can be done?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post and will be typing you an answer.

I'm sorry to hear that you fell for a romance scam and that it cost you $40,000 before you figured it out.

I can tell you that romance scammers follow a predictable formula and that nothing she has told you about herself is true. The only money that is real in this story is the money you are letting her steal. Her so-called inheritance is simply a way to convince you that she will be able to pay you back for the money she will keep asking you for and asking you for and asking you for and asking you for until you run out of money, at which point she'll disappear.

This scam comes complete with phony documents, phony lawyers, phony bank sites, phony bankers and even phony customs agents. They are all part of a team of scammers bolstering each other's lies and looking to steal your money.

If you can find out who and where they really are, you can sue them for the return of your money or have them arrested. But you will find that everything you think you know is a lie and that finding them will be a job for law enforcement.

You're the victim of a crime. Turn over everything you know to your police and online to the FBI at www.IC3.gov which is their Internet Crime Complaint Center. If law enforcement can't find them, you'll be able to write off your losses when you file your 2017 income tax. The unreimbursed losses of a crime victim are tax deductible, so you'll be able to get something back even in the worst case scenario in the form of a tax break.

I'll be happy to look over any documents or photos you have to show you that none of this is real. We answer many questions just like yours here each and every day.

Can I hold the person that taken my money responsible for the crime?

How did you pay the money? Bank to bank transfer? If you have someone with a bank account here, you can sue him or her for fraud or try to get that person charged criminally and thus get restitution through the criminal court system.

If you paid via MoneyGram, Western Union or gift cards, on the other hand, the person who picked up the payment will probably be using a false identity.