I received a gift of $20000 ten years ago to purchase a

Customer Question
I received a gift...

I received a gift of $20000 ten years ago to purchase a house. my then girlfriend moved in with me and we later were married, we are now getting a divorce. The place is sold, do I owe her half of the 20,000 that was given to me prior to us living together for the home we then shared?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oh this is british Columbia canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
I also should add that there is no documentation to go with this gift/loan. It was simply money given in good faith towards my downpayment
12/13/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
You do not. It was a pre marital purchase and considered separate property. You do not owe her any portion of it.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!