Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

My friend died about 8 yrs ago. He had no family ,but had a…

Customer Question
My friend died about...

My friend died about 8 yrs ago. He had no family ,but had a will. It stated that whatever he had was to go to me .

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

He had been working at NY hospital & after he’d worked there for 6mo , he was given some more papers to sign. One was to indicate who $40,000. would go to , from the hospital , if he passed away ,while being a full time employee of the hospital . He was ill at the time & never put in a name

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

NY hospital policy is after an employee works there full time for a certain number of months ,6, they are given this document to fill out . I have a copy of the legal will , that was mailed to me ,from the law firm in NY,NY that wrote it for him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

1984 Ok

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. What can I answer for you?

My friend had a will drawn up in 1984 . He had no children and was never married. His will said that he left everything to me.
He died about 8 yrs ago . He was a full time employee at the New York Hospital . After working there ,for a few months mo, he called me & said that he’d received a document ,from the hospital ,stating that if he passed away , while employed by the hospital , $40,000 would be given to go to someone ....
His spouse,child ,friend ,etc.
He called me letting me know that he was putting my name down as the receiver .
He died a very short time after,& before he was able to return the form .
I have a copy of his will, from the law firm that wrote it , in 1984
Is there any way that I have any claim to the $40,000 ?
I’m 79yrs old & on a fixed income .
I can’t afford to pay more for a call

I'm sorry - I wish I could tell you otherwise but challenging a will must be done within 6 years or it can no longer be challenged. Even if you had proof that he called you and told you he was putting you down in his will or adding your name to something, a person has the right to change their mind repeatedly, so even that wouldn't be sufficient.

Tina, Lawyer