I want to know if it is legal for the water company in Nv.

Customer Question
I want to know...

I want to know if it is legal for the water company in Henderson Nv. to hold us responsible for my previous tenants unpaid water bill. I had the water put back in our name after our tenants moved out, and now my new tenants were not able to sign up for water until I paid the previous tenants water bill. The water company said they would lien our property if we did not pay it. It seems the agreement is between our previous tenants and the water company and not us or our property. I would think the deposit they require would be used to pay this unpaid bill Please advise, thank you *****: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

I'm ready now Pearl

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Henderson Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I just paid the bill so our new tenants could sign up for water. I have had 12 rentals in other states and have never been held responsible for water, electric or gas for any of my tenants.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think that covers it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Lawyer: Robert Gonzalez,
 replied 7 months ago
Robert Gonzalez
Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?
Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.
Lawyer: Robert Gonzalez,
 replied 7 months ago
I reviewed your question. Unfortunately, this presents A bad situation that you were previous tenants left you with. In reality, the water company made the agreement between them and the person occupying the property. Since the services were rendered to the property directly, it is possible that the water or utility company can place a lien directly against the property and cause a judge to intervene and place a lien against the property. Your best option would be to pay the utility company and then go after the previous tenant for the charges.