I am planning to move out of state. I had an ordinance

Customer Question
I am planning to...

I am planning to move out of state. I had an ordinance violation several months ago that could result in my license being suspended here. If I apply for a drivers license in my new state and it is issued prior to any action in my current home state, what are the consequences?

Lawyer's Assistant: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois to Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Supposedly reported but unknown

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not sure

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. If you are planning on moving out of state and you apply for a driver's license in your new state, the consequences are going to be that your driver's license in your new state is also going to be suspended if it was suspended back in IL. The reason is because the DMV's across the country share their databases to determine who is and who isn't allowed to drive on the road. Thus, if you get pulled over and a police officer runs your KS license, the system, which checks all the DMVs, will show that your licenses was suspended by the state of IL, meaning you don't have the privilege to drive in KS. I'm very sorry. What other questions did you have for me?