If a realtor shows a client an empty home and someone uses…

Customer Question
If a realtor shows...

If a realtor shows a client an empty home and someone uses the toilet and the water is running for 2 weeks, who is responsible for the $2300 water and sewer bill?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Should the owner shut off the water to avoid this problem in the future?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/12/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Legally, the owner is liable, but owner need not shut off the water. Owner can look to his insurer for coverage. Owner could try to recover from realtor only if realtor acted negligently which from these facts its not the case. Had realtor turned on the faucet and forgot to turn it off or left a burner on leading to damages, then realtor, and his insurer would be liable.

If that is clear and acceptable, please reply "yes"

Awaiting your reply, thank you!if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.