I have friends who borrowed my credit cards and ran up

Customer Question
I have friends who...

I have friends who borrowed my credit cards and ran up $19,000.00 in debt and now are refusing to pay because the cards are in my name. Am I just screwed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Texas about 10 months ago that they borrowed the cards, supposedly to purchase some tools and equipment for remodeling jobs...and then they had dinner everywhere, bought jewelry and clothing and just ran the balance over the limits.These were friends who promised to pay on the cards. I think mostly they did not because their business slowed down and they did not have the money to make the minimum payments which were high because of the balances they ran up on the cards.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not really, because the debts were beyond my meager income I signed up with a debt reduction program. I am trying to resolve these debts, but the amount I need to contribute to the escrow account each month is about 1/4 of my monthly income, and I have no help from the people who put me in this jeopardy. They have said I can do nothing about it, and they may be right, I was just wondering if they were?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really, I have my own expenses, including some card debts that I have made, but have been keeping reasonable, but with this other it is really become a hardship. The so-called friends are not telling me they cannot help me at all because they have their business in the Houston area, and the hurricane wiped them out...to some degree that is true, but they are still eating, and I am trying to decide how many days a week I can give that up.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/12/2017
Lawyer: Legal Expert Justin, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Expert Justin

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be the Expert assisting you today. Were you aware of the fact that these friends were making these purchases? Or were you only aware of the initial purchase for the tools and equipment?

I became award when the first bills came to my house instead of theirs. I questioned they and they said they were going to pay, I should not worry or even look at the bills, I know I was stupid to trust them...but I did and before I knew it, they had run one card with a $10,900.00 limit up over $11,500.00 and the other with a $8,000.00 limit up to $ 8,340.00 -then they had financial troubles and just left town and left me to be called and threatened by those banks.
I have signed up with a debt reduction program, and they say they can help me, but I am having a lot of trouble just getting the required amount into the escrow account with this company. I am on a survivor annuity from the military and I do not have much income.
I do not want to sign up for another $59.00 for a phone call. I am having enough trouble buying groceries, and I cannot give up eating more days of the week than I now do. I am sure you probably cannot tell me anything anyway except I should have chosen better friends. I think I have probably wasted your time and my money. Thanks anyway.
Hope you have a nice day and a Merry Christmas