Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I settled a personal injury claim on October 25, I signed…

Customer Question
I settled a personal...

I settled a personal injury claim on October 25, I signed the release papers 2 days later, the law firm that was handling my case has not given me my money, the medical bills have been paid, from one payment and they have been paid from it I have only received a part of my money they keep saying that they can;t get a hold from the claim adjusters from the other 2 insurance companies or they keep not returning my calls, what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you have copies of the medical records?

In Michigan, yes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The case has been settled, papers signed but they won't give me my money they keep stalling for some reason, I asked if something is wrong, they say no and it;s common for insurance company's to hold payments as long as they want to.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Just to clarify, the settlement has been paid by the insurance companies and the law firm is holding the all of the money from the settlement?

There were 3 payments due from 3 different insurance company's they keep saying that only one has paid and the other 2 have not paid yet, the release papers were signed in October.

Thank you for the additional information.

What the lawyers are telling you is true. Some insurance companies are notoriously slow in sending out the checks and a 90 day wait, while not common, is not unheard of with some.

Your attorneys can be sending out demand letters. The remedy,or threat, is that you will file for breach of the settlement and fraud.

There may also be a claim of bad faith to assert, which, if you prevail, could entitle you to punitive damages and attorney fees.

In any event, demand your attorneys stay on top of this and not let it slide.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

To me they did not do a good job on the case the accident took place last year in July and we just did this in October and I am almost broke I need to pay my bills. They say it's common for insurance company's to hold settlement checks for as long as they want to, I asked for the claim adjusters names and have not received them , can I call the insurance companies myself and talk to the claims adjusters?
Hello, is anyone still here?

Yes, you are free to call them yourself.

Though, the adjuster may hesitate to speak to you directly because you are represented, but you can certainly try.

You should also keep pressing your attorneys to contact the insurance company and get a date for when the check will be issued.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Attorney