I rented a fully furnished property in the villages florida.

Customer Question
I rented a fully...

I rented a fully furnished property in the villages florida. i paid a full months rent of $1750 as a security bond. no inventory was offered by the landlord and none signed by myself. now in leaving the property in clean order i am now being accused of removing some small kitchen items, the value of which i do not know as the landlord will not commit to a figure. It appears that she will simply deduct what they think as missing without any proof. Can you please advise what is my legal position in this matter. Many thanks Derek Hill

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

The villages, florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Sorry not sure of the question,. please clarify in more detail

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/12/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, if a landlord is going to be deducting from your security deposit after you move out, then they have to show that the charges they have are "reasonable." This means that if they charge for things that are unreasonable or do not offer at least some sufficient evidence as to why they believe they are reasonable, then they may be engaging in a breach of contract by keeping your security deposit. In your case, this appears to be a classic breach of contract if they are keeping your deposit with little to no proof of what you actually did to cause the damage. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?