A mental health facility released a diagnosis to a private…

Customer Question
Hello. A mental...

Hello. A mental health facility released a diagnosis to a private school without authorization from the guardian. Is this a violation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

This is for HIPPA! We are in Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I don't think these messages were meant for me. Please read me responses above

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 8 months ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you provide some context? What happened here?

I am typing my response but lost the first version

Ok...the first version did not have any context. Can you provide some context?

My son attends a mental health facility. His school required documentation upon his discharge. They need them to release him to school, provide a treatment plan going forward and provide recommendations for academic accomodations
still typing
I specifically asked the mental health provider NOT to provide information such as diagnosis and I also asked for her to send any documents to me to approved before they were sent to the school head

Thanks

that helps

A few mins please and I will type a response

The provider did not follow my instructions. She did not send the documentation to me for review before sending it to school. She also included his diagnosis after we specifically discussed how limited i wanted the schools information to be
Is this a HIPPA violation??

That you for your patience

What you are describing, it certainly sounds like a HIPAA violation.
HIPAA (health insurance portability accountability act) is the federal law that governs privacy in health care records (among other things)

Under HIPAA, a covered entity (the provider is a covered entity) can NOT release private health care information without a release (waiver) from the patient except in very limited circumstances (for example, a court order is an exception to the HIPAA rule...they can release information pursuant to a court order, without a waiver from the patient).

What you are describing? If the provider released the information to the school without permission from you? That violates HIPAA.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

What is the next step?
Do i just go to a lawyer and start a case? Do i talk to the facility first?

SOrry...what case are you referring to?

There is no "private right of action" under HIPAA...you can report the violation to the US Dept of Health and Human Services...but you can NOT sue under HIPAA...the law prohibits that

The provider releasing unauthorized info to the school
there are not consequences for violating this law?

There is...the federal government can fine them. But you can not sue them...that is not permitted.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can sue over this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil