Im wondering how a landlord has to charge you for cleaning…

Customer Question
Im wondering how long...

Im wondering how long a landlord has to charge you for cleaning fees

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She sent me an email today

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are they deducting any cleaning fees from a deposit or are they trying to sue in court for them?

.

.

thanks

Neither she sent a request for 400 dollars for cleaning after we left. But didn't send them until tofay and we left mid September

Ok, they would only have up to 30 days to deduct from any deposit so that is long over. However, in Maine, she could legally sue under a breach of contract claim in small claims court for up to 6 years from the date of the demand.

.

But it is pretty unlikely that the landlord would actually bother to file a lawsuit over $400 as it simply isn't worth the time and trouble to do so..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Barrsiter

The hiccup being that there was no security deposit. Just a last month's rent. So we cleaned and moved out and 3 months later get a bill -

Ok, then it would again be up to the landlord to decide if it was worth suing you over $400 and then having to try and collect on it if they won a judgment... For me it wouldn't be worth it..