I got a title loan in September. I had just paid one off…

I got a title...

I got a title loan in September. I had just paid one off with the same people and got another one. I hit hard times and became homeless. I finally got a home through section 8. I receive SSI disability. They are threatening to take out a warrant for me if I don't surrender my vehicle. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?

Tennessee. They are threatening to take a warrant out today

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes. He said it was a scare tactic to surrender vehicle

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is a high interest loan. They do not want you to be able to pay. They want your vehicle. I was desperate to get power on in new home or I could not move in. I want to pay. I can't afford to pay all of it at once. They won't even tell me what I owe until I surrender vehicle

12/11/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you for your patience and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, if a debt collector says you owe a debt, it is against the fair debt collection practices act for them to threaten you with arrest if you don't pay up. You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising them that federal law prohibits their actions and you could be entitled to damages if they continue. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

No other. Thank you!!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer