My friends and I were smoking and now we might get kicked of…

Customer Question
My friends and I...

My friends and I were smoking and now we might get kicked of the team of a public high school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet the police didn't catch my son

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that is all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

What is your question?

My sons friends are 16 and where vaping. They didn't get caught by the police but the team coach of a public high school is threatening to kick them off
Is that legal to kick them off for underage vaping

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job.

Keep in mind that my job is to provide you with information, whether the outcome is what you had hoped for or not. Only telling you what you to hear is not the purpose of this site and it doesn't do you any good. So if you are upset about the outcome but the quality of my customer service is good, please do not give me a negative rating. I am only a messenger. If you need more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you.

ANSWER: There is no provision in the law that prevents or prohibits a coach of a public school extracurricular activity from reiving student-athletes from their teams who they deem ineligible to participate, other than if it is a based on discrimination on the basis of race, religion, nationality, etc. Students who vape, which can be considered detrimental to the team, are not a protected class.

Participating in a public school extracurricular activity is a privilege—not a right—bestowed upon those the coaching staff deem eligible or suitable or capable. If underage vaping is considered conduct unbecoming of the team or conduct that is contrary to the rules set forth by the coaching staff, it is well within their title to remove student-athletes from the team.

I would attempt to resolve this by encouraging the children to recognize the mistake, take responsibility for whatever actions the coaching staff deemed troubling, and recommend that they apologize for the conduct that was deemed offensive and humbly seek forgiveness to remain on the team.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Do you need more help?

Thank you!