My friend went to south africa as an engineer to build a…

Customer Question
My friend went to...

My friend went to south africa as an engineer to build a building. upon finishing the building...he was held in jail there due to his having to pay taxes on that building. upon paying court cost...he was released and the lawyer representing him charged him 36m. when released by the court..lawyer took passport and is now holding him until he pays at least 26m. is this allowed. my friend is living on street now with no money for food or living expenses. what can i tell him or what can i do

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Cape town

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like is say...he is out of jail having paid the cost that the judge charged him with. it is now his lawyer that is holding passport and has sent me an email to inform me that is he pays 26m he will then release him to come home and send him the 10m. he has been paid 10m already and is asking for the 13m more

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am so confused and worried about him that I don't know what to ask.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Have you ever met this friend in person, or has all contact been online and over the phone?

Have you sent any money?

Who were they working for that sent them to SA?