A friend of mine had her name signed to a contract for

Customer Question
A friend of mine...

A friend of mine had her name signed to a contract for payment. She never authorized anyone to sign on her behalf and now is being sued for the cost of the goods? Help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida..She was apartner in a cheer business and someone signed her name. Being sued for $14000. Can prove not her signature

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

She was served and has 20 days to respond. She sent everything to me to ask what she can do

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other than its not her signature...no

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Generally, it seems like there is a cause of action that you may have against this other party under federal law and you can tell your friend. Under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act at section 1692e, it is unlawful for a debt collector to say that you owe a balance when you do not. This can also serve as a defense if she did not actually sign on for these debts. Has she been sued in court or is she just having the debt collectors contact her?

she has been served

Gotcha. She should respond to the lawsuit and cite that this is an unfair debt collection because she never signed on for that debt. If you click here, you can see a template that you can send to her and use it as a guide for responding to the lawsuit. What other questions did you have for me?

She can show her ss card that she signed when 18 and her signature throughout the years and its obvious it is not her hand writing

I see what you mean. She should bring that up in her response to the complaint as well. She can go to www.thumbtack.com to find someone serve the attorneys for the plaintiff on her behalf.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.