Was hand cuffed too tight arms were numb an hour.. now I'm…

Customer Question
Was hand cuffed too...

Was hand cuffed too tight arms were numb an hour.. now I'm having nerve problem

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I told officer too tight was removed was not able to raise arms

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Andrews

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like a classic case of negligence on the grounds that they did not check to see if the cuffs were too tight. Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence and you are entitled to damages. Damages can be difficult to calculate, but if you click here you can use a calculator help you understand.

This also may be a case of police brutality if this was done intentionally. This may be something you'll have to bring up through the Department of Justice though as they handle these things or bring it up with your local police department by filing a complaint.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Where do I file a complaint. And I need a lawyer near me

To find a lawyer, I'd recommend the Texas Lawyer Referral Service- click here.

As far as a complaint, you can file a complain with the PD that did this to you or you can click here to file a complaint with the Department of Justice.

Did you have any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.