Personnel Lawsuit: I am on a time limited for falling down…

Customer Question
Personnel Lawsuit: I...

Personnel Lawsuit: I am on a time limited for falling down at a client's home working as a Dog sitter. Last year Dec. 15th I tripped over a dog tray that I didn't see due to the lights were not working . Do I have a case for I talked to a Lawyer here in Charlotte, NC and he would not take it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am sorry I thought I hit the key for Personnel Lawsuits...

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No! I was embarrassed to tell him until he was trying not to pay me for my services. I told him want really happen. All I want is Emergency bills and Doctor bills to be paid nothing else.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am sorry are you still there. Not very good at texting

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

In order to show the homeowner, you have to be able to show that the homeowner was careless in a manner that caused your injury. It's not enough that you were in their home when an injury occurred. Hiring a dog sitter for a property that doesn't have working lights IS careless, if you can show that they knew or should have known before they left (rather than a bulb burning out after they left). Or if there was a power failure in the area, that wouldn't be their responsibility because they'd have no way of avoiding it, or even knowing that it happened.

The other problem is that you must show that you were not careless in the events leading up to the injury. The fact that the property was dark when you approached would have been open and obvious. That puts you on notice to act with reasonable care when entering the property, especially since you knew there were pets in the home. Most cell phones come equipped with flashlights or at least have lit screens that can be used to show the way across a darkened room, and that's going to count against you. Under North Carolina law, a person who contributes in any way to their injury cannot recover damages for negligence. That's likely why the lawyer you spoke with declined to represent you. And that could unfortunately make it extremely difficult to win a case in this situation.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Good luck.

Thanks ��That was a very expensive question, but well worth the price. By any chance I noticed you had a $5.00 question. Can I get that one since I’ve been unemployed for a year from dog sitting which was my career?

I'm afraid experts don't have any control over question pricing. Customer service can discuss the options with you.

There isn't any charge if you have related follow-ups to this answer, though.