29 years ago we put a caboose on our Ranch property. I

Customer Question
called the County first to...
29 years ago we put a caboose on our Ranch property. I called the County first to see if it was against the law and he asked why I was putting it there and I said because as a child I fell in love with a book called The Box Car Children. He said just make sure my neighbors didn’t mind. At the time I had perhaps four neighbors around my Ranch . They all said they didn’t care . So it was brought here . Within a year our jobs burned down ( Safeway grocery warehouse in Richmond Ca) We took what little savings we had and made a apt out of it . It saved our home . My daughter in law has been living in it for the past ten years . Everything was done with code , except the Septic Tank . We put the Caboose line to our exsistibg Septic Tank . I made a mistake and told my neighbor of 25 years about it casually and within three days code enforcer was out to My Ranch . She said no one could live in the Caboose and mentioned the Septic Tank . She had walked all over my property and said “ I couldn’t find a way to your door”. She wanted to know who lived downstairs . We bought the Ranch with a mother in law set up already here that my husband use to stay in but became to ill so he is upstairs with me . The mother in law set up is used for storage and she mentioned that she had to find plans for the home that I would be getting a letter . She said all this to my husband as I was out of town.I called the number on her card left a message but she has never called back.
What do I do now ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The city will probably send you a letter requiring you to bring the septic tank on the Caboose up to code or remove the people living in it. They could also impose a fine. That would be valid, since you initially didn't request permission to have it on your property as a separate living unit, and because you were aware it wasn't done up to code.

They might also require you to install a better route to/from your front door if there isn't a safe path, because that's a safety issue in the event of a fire. But without seeing the property, that's hard to say. If your door is where stated on the plans, possibly not. And she shouldn't do anything with the mother-in-law unit because no one is living in it. It's possible they could tell you to bring it up to code before selling the place, but that's not something to worry about if you're not planning to sell it.

Until you hear from them, though, I'm afraid there isn't much to do. You'll want to know what issues they're going to require you to fix before you start the work. It might help to call a couple of contractors to get estimates on the septic tank. That way, you'll be ready to start work when necessary.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?