My property manager is trying to evict me and spoke about my…

Customer Question
My property manager is...

My property manager is trying to evict me and spoke about my case to another tenants mother

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet but she has been threatening eviction for weeks causing me a great deal of stress and anxiety I am disabled and have a brain injury also I have always paid my rent on time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am living on sis and only get 735 a month if they can evict me they are sending me to die out on the street I will have to sleep outside and will probably freeze to death outside

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/11/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Are you there I have paid the fee

Hi, I'm still here.

Bear with me a moment while I review…

Please answer my questions

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. One moment while I review your situation.

Thanks very much for your patience. So, I'm not quite sure what specific question you had regarding this. I see a description of your situation, but I'm uncertain what question you have that's troubling you. Could you clarify for me?

Can my property manager talk about my case to another tenants mother she violated my right to privacy

I'm sorry to hear about that situation. This sounds like a case of public disclosure of private factsm or, if none of this is true, defamation. The public disclosure of private facts means that someone is disclosing private facts that a reasonable person would find offensive (like the status of their living arrangement).

Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.)

Although I don't know the full extent of what was the supposed defamatory statement, run the alleged statements through that analysis to see if it fits.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising the landlord to stop making comments about your situation.. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

I am on a year lease and pay half the rent in apartment and have been refused a mailbox key can property manager evict me based on the word of my roomate when she has no proof

So, what reason were they trying to evict you?

My roomate said that I had marijuana in the apartment and i never did I have no criminal record have never been arrested or been in any kind of trouble

I see. If she has no proof, then she cannot evict you on those grounds. You should stay on the premises until she can prove that you violated your rental agreement. You may sue her for breach of contract if she continues to try to harass you about this. What other questions did you have for me today?

I have always paid my rent on time and kept my part of the apartment clean

I can understand what you mean. If you've been a model tenant, then she has no right to evict you.

Also my roomate made comments about my source of income I am on disability ssi and she said that unlike me she earns her money and another time she said she does not get a slow check she is not a retard like me

I'm sorry to hear about that. That doesn't sound like a great roommate to me; but keep in mind though that the landlord cannot have you evicted, no matter how much they don't like you, unless you do something to break the lease terms. What other questions did you have for me?

my roomate also made racial comments to me called me the n word in my own home and another time said that I was a selfish white person she has violated my civil rights

I'm very sorry to hear about that. I would probably recommend thinking about a new roommate and if the property manager starts with the slurs, then you may be able to file a complaint with your state department of housing.

I just wanted to tell you that I never disrespected my roomate in that way everything she said was said in front of a witness do I have any kind of case against my roomate everybody in America is supposed to have civil rights I do not deserve any of this from my roomate

I can imagine that is the case. I think that you should strongly consider a new roommate and use that letter that I recommended not only to send to the landlord, but also to your roommate. Did you have any other questions for me?

Also is what the property manager doing discrimination the way she is trying to evict me I am disabled and also low income when she talks to me about eviction raises her voice if she wants to meet with me in her office do I have to go or just talk to her through letters

She could be acting in a discriminatory manner because of your age, race, and disability, which is against state and federal housing laws. I'm sorry that she is so nasty with you. You may want to consider going to one of your local legal aid organizations and asking them for a little bit of help in dealing with this person if they are being so mean.

What is happening is also retaliation for a day that there was a fire alarm and it took me awhile to leave apartment I have an injured leg and takes me awhile to get dressed and leave apartment property manager accused me of doing drugs and that is why it took me so long I was not doing drugs she does not even know anything about me or my life that day they got in some kind of trouble for residents taking too long to leave there apartments. Can I report this company for this place being a fore
A fire hazard this place has 60 apartments it is senior housing and the last time there was a fire took the fire department 25 minutes to get there has gotten to the point that some residents do not even leave when alarm goes off if there is ever a really bad fire people could die there are no fire escapes for 2nd and 3rd floor

Because I don't know the property or the fire codes for your county, I'll have to take your word for it; however, if you have reason to believe that the place is a fire hazard, you should alert the fire marshall because you and everyone else deserve safety.

I think this company is in violation of several laws they are also renting apartments that are not handicapped accessible to handicapped people That alone is a violation of federal and state fair housing laws
I understand what you mean. You may want to contact your local housing authorities to explain these issues. At the very least they may be able to conduct an investigation on your behalf and you can get some justice.
They are also a tax credit community does that mean I could report them to hud
Or to the internal revenue service
It's likely that you could report them to HUD. If HUD does not have jurisdiction then they'll tell you. The least that you could do a certainly try.

Ok, I must sign off for the night; I'm very sorry. Did you have any additional questions for me?

If I write a cease and desist letter to property manager does it have to be notarized

Not at all. You can buy it, download it, fill it out, then send it. You can even copy and paste it via email. But just keep in mind that you should tell them that they may be engaging in state and federal law violations in addition to incurring civil liability for defamation or public disclosure of private facts.