M considering entering a VA inpatient program to help with…

Customer Question
M considering entering a VA...
M considering entering a VA inpatient program to help with my issues. It may be as long as 30 days. I am unmarried and have two kids from a previous marrige, but my ex-wife had past. I want my 2 kids to live with my parents while I am away. What's the best route to take as far as power of attorney and things like that?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/10/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

You should be able to sign and notarize this form to give them temporary custody.

I hope this information is helpful.

Since you do not know how long you will be away, you might to check box 4d to give you some flexibility in case it takes you more than a month to return.

This great, I looked alot online and found nothing as good as that. My only question, once my former in laws find out, is it enough to survive them coming after the kids?

Yes, they have no rights to custody or even visitation without your consent or a Court order. As the only surviving parent, you have sole custody unless a Court order says otherwise.

Well, there is an agreement, the whole grandparents rights bull crap, and I live up to my end of it, can they file new paperwork against me and make issues for my parents while I'm trying to get well just cause I'm trying to get well?

I'm sorry but they anyone can file a frivolous case. If they do, you or your attorney can tell the Court that veterans should not be penalized for seeking treatment for PTSD or whatever your issues are. The fact that you may need medical treatment is not a basis to take away custody from you.