My parents own 9.63 acres. Their house sits in the middle of…

Customer Question
My parents own 9.63...

My parents own 9.63 acres. Their house sits in the middle of the property. Back in 1999, my parents let me put my house on the property, which I currently live in and help to maintain all of the property. My oldest son also has his house on the property. My nephew and his family recently moved in with my parents and are living with them in my parents house. My mom and dad are talking about leasing their house to my nephew, because they want to start traveling, and not live in the house any longer. This is fine with me, because before they moved in my parents drew up their will and listed me as executor, but how does this work if they are leasing the house to my nephew?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas, Montgomery County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, they are talking about doing something this summer, due to my dads health

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My parents are talking about spending their summers up north and winters in Texas. My son and I do not own the property our house sits on, we pay the taxes. Can My nephews family lease without having any ownership to the property?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/9/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

This is fine with me, because before they moved in my parents drew up their will and listed me as executor, but how does this work if they are leasing the house to my nephew?

.

It doesn't affect anything at all.. An executor only gains power once the testator's die and they are formally appointed by a judge. So you being nominated as executor of their estate has nothing at all to do with them deciding to rent out their place to nephew.

.

Nephew will just continue to be a tenant (as he is already one) and parents will be his landlord (as they are now) but presumably he will pay them some amount of rent to live there..

.

If the violated the lease, then they would have to terminate and evict him just like any landlord would.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much