If I sell my boat for less than the loan payoff am i

Customer Question
If I sell my...

If I sell my boat for less than the loan payoff am i responsible for the deficency

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Newport Beach California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/9/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Yes, unless the note provides otherwise, without obtaining a release from the lender, you remain liable for the repayment in full of the note you signed.

That does not mean that you can not negotiate a short sale with the lender. That would be an agreement with the lender that they will accept the sale proceeds as payment in full and release you from any further obligation.

Additionally, if the boat is pledged as collateral, the lender can repossess the boat after the sale from the new owner to enforce its lien.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but i do not want you incurring liability and spinning your wheels.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!