Can I write a letter to the judge asking him to release me…

Customer Question
Can I write a letter...
Can I write a letter to the judge asking him to release me early from probation so I can get out to another state with my family?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
I was convicted of a felony illegal weapons charge it was dropped down to a misdemeanor with 6 months probation I have been on probation for 4 months and I have complied with everything on probation however I did miss one UA test and my probation officer said that she can no longer Release Me from probation early because I miss that test. I live in Colorado and my wife and kids moved to Georgia because we were relocating my company out there. They are already out there and I close on my house December 15th after that I will be homeless and still no job because my company is transferred in Georgia. I tried to talk to the judge and he told me to talk to my probation officer. I need to get out to Georgia I just don't know how to go about being released
12/9/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

You cannot just write a letter to the judge. You would need to get your attorney to file a "Motion for Early Release" to the court and the court would need to set a hearing date to hear your evidence as to why your probation should be ended early. If your probation officer is not supportive of the request, in most cases the court will not agree to early termination of probation though, so it would be based on your probation officer's willingness to agree in court that you should be released early.

You have extenuating circumstances, but you would need to file in court with the proof that your job is moving and so is your family and your attorney could file for an expedited hearing based on those job conditions.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Okay how can I go about it without an attorney I can't afford an attorney?

Thank you for your reply.

You could seek to file the motion yourself in court and you could get a template for the Motion for Early Release from the court library, you would have to write the motion and ask the court to hear it on an emergency or expedited basis due to your job change.

Okay I will do that. Now when you say the court library for the template what exactly is the court Library? And when I file this motion you mentioned to see if they can expedite it on an emergency basis how do I exactly do that

Thank you for your reply.

Each local court typically has a library and you can ask them there for the form books. If your court does not have a court library, you would need to go to the local law school library or to the public library if you have no local law school and ask them if they have a court forms book. This is the biggest issue with trying to represent yourself, the forms for many things are not available online and if they are not available online, we are not allowed to direct you to them.