I am in a nursing home and I had a special package delivered…

Customer Question
I am in a...

I am in a nursing home and I had a special package delivered that had some cash as well as special paperwork in it it was tracked by the post office and the post office let me know it was delivered I was currently in bed at the time due to the fact that I can only be up a certain amount of time because I am a paraplegic the head security guard told me that I cannot access my mail until Monday when someone comes in to deal with the mail now this is important paperwork that needs to be looked at before Monday as well as I do need the money and I don't want it to get lost they told me they will not give it to me at all do I call the police and tell them that they're not giving me my mail and withholding my mail which is a federal offense or do I try and work it out in the building which is the first thing I'm going to try and do is work it out with a supervisor but if all else fails would that be a road to go down someone had to sign for the package so I have the person's name who signed for it it was at 3 on Saturday or Friday they had plenty of time to give it to me and notify me but they neglected to what should I do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in New York City which is probably the worst place I know the real estate laws are terrible I used to be a title Examiner and dealt with New York City but this is mail and I'm in a nursing home which they should just hand it to me no problem I had asked the guard who found it and it was sitting right on the top of the pile I asked him to set it aside and I would have one of my aides come and pick it up and he told me no and said and I know you can't get out of bed either so screw you and hung the phone up and he's the head of security

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet because I haven't been able to get ahold of any supervisors or anything to come to my room and I'm in bed so I can't jump in my wheelchair and go down there and confront him face to face and just pick it out of the box he told me I had to wait till Monday or Tuesday whenever it went through all the different areas that needed to go through like Central Supply and finance and then the residents can get their mail but this is a special thing that was signed it was a Express Mail document it wasn't a normal piece of mail someone that the desk signed for it especially

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it they're just withholding my mail and refusing to give it to me until such time as they choose to give it to us or just has important paperwork and it should be not a problem but they're making it a problem it seems we have no rights in the nursing home I feel like I'm in jail

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/9/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Okay I've got till the morning once they get me out of bed in the morning I'm going to start with the supervisors and work my way down and if no one will help me I'm going to have to call the police and say they're withholding my mail so just let me know if that's a wise idea I never really liked getting the police involved if I don't all possible but this place seems to be very pig-headed especially on the weekends

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

It is ridiculous for this facility to expect you to wait till Monday for your package. However, you need to first try to deal with the Supervisors. If Supervisors are not available or not cooperative, you need to contact the Police to force the facility to release your property to you.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law