My husband and I have a prenup from 2006. Since then we have…

Customer Question
My husband and I have...
My husband and I have a prenup from 2006. Since then we have acquired 4 rental properties plus our primary residence. My name is ***** ***** of the rentals and our primary residence. He hasn’t worked since 2013 and I’ve traveled since then under our own company that we started together. Since May I am under our own company plus a full time employee of a corporation.Is he entitled to spousal support? The kids would be 50/50 but he thinks he’s entitled to me paying him for a year at the least until he finds a job.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/9/2017
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

It depends on what was written into your prenuptial agreement.

As long as the prenup was legally binding (properly executed, signed by both parties), then it is the governing document here.

Most prenups have a stipulation about spousal support in the event of a divorce, and most prenups also have a stipulation describing how property is to be owned or divided that's obtained during the course of the marriage.

Again, the prenup would be binding and enforceable as to all of the above mentioned points.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

It's a basic prenup that states anything we bring into the marriage is not due the other person. My question is about spousal support and what we acquired during our marriage.
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Is there nothing in the prenup at all about how assets or finances are to be divided that are acquired during the marraige?

If not, then Texas alimony laws will govern. I can tell you more about that after you reply to my prior question. Thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered. Think of this more as a back and forth conversation. Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!