Can a landlord evict without serving 30 day notice or not…

Customer Question
Can a landlord evict...

Can a landlord evict without serving 30 day notice or not taken to court. My brother was the lease holder he passed away, but I had movein with him. Do I have any legal rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Washington DC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was served with a notice from the management office but nothing from DCHA attorney. A notice was stucked on the door tonight that said that management will be here on Moday December 11,2017 to change locks and discard my belongings

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/9/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.
Landlord cannot evict without court order. If landlord uses self help and locks a tenant out that is an illegal eviction and tenant may gain entry and sue for compensation.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney